We think Aspen and Snowmass are special, and we know that once you visit, you will too! Surrounded by the grandeur of nature at one’s doorstep, and invigorated by all of the related activities available for one’s pleasure, like hiking, biking and rafting, it is easy to see why outdoor enthusiasts think the area is extraordinary. Summer visitors find Aspen and Snowmass exceptional for many other reasons as well, with activities and events that you will find here and nowhere else – especially all in one place.
Here are just 12 activities and events that make summer in Aspen and Snowmass special:
- Music at the top of Aspen Mountain: Hike up Aspen Mountain, enjoy some classical music on Saturdays, bluegrass on Sundays, and always a free gondola ride down afterwards.
- Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES): ACES hosts many activities throughout the summer:
- An Evening on the Lake
- Farm to Table Dinners
- Annual Mushroom Fair
- Aspen Youth Leadership Conference
- Jessica Catto Leadership Dialogue
- Maroon Bells Birthday Bash
- Family Astronomy Night
- Family Farm Feast
- Daily naturalist guided tours at the Maroon Bells, on Aspen Mountain and at Snowmass
- Educational classes and camps for kids and adults
- Tours at Rock Bottom Ranch
- Eagles, Hawks and Owls presentation at Hallam Lake
- Sunset Beaver Walk at Hallam Lake
- Yoga on the outdoor platforms at Hallam Lake
- Ice Age Discovery Center at Snowmass: Experience the discovery of one of the most significant pre- historic finds ever made in Colorado. View Ice Age mammoth fossils unearthed nearby at the Ziegler Reservoir dig site. Watch as an onsite fossil interpreter prepares 150,000-year-old mammoth remains, including three tusks, three ribs and a humerus. Learn about the Snowmass Ice Age discovery through creative displays, educational panels and interactive programming.
- Aspen Physics Lectures: Enjoy public lectures and dialogues with physicists who share their exciting, cutting-edge research on such subjects as black holes, the accelerating universe, neutrinos, cosmic Inflation, quantum physics and primordial gravity waves. In conjunction with the Aspen Science Center, the Aspen Physics Center also periodically hosts picnics for children and their families. After the picnic, the physicists introduce big ideas to children of all ages.
- Aspen Music Festival And School Performances: The Aspen Music Festival, one of the preeminent classical music festivals in the nation, attracts top musicians and students from around the world and presents more than 300 musical events per season. Recent guest performers include Joshua Bell, Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, Sarah Chang, Yefim Bronfman and Alisa Weilerstein.
- Summer Theatre and Ballet: Theatre Aspen, a professional theater and school, features local performers as well as nationally-known actors. Enjoy high quality theatrical productions in the scenic, intimate setting of Rio Grande Park downtown, next to the Roaring Fork River. The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet brings touring dance companies from around the world each summer to delight Aspen audiences, young and old.
- Aspen Institute Sponsored/hosted events: The Aspen Institute, an educational and policy studies organization devoted to “fostering enlightened leadership, the appreciation of timeless ideas and values, and open-minded dialogue on contemporary issues”, hosts several notable events at its Aspen location during the summer. These include the Aspen Ideas Festival and the McCloskey Speaker Series.
- Mine Tours: Take a guided tour of the legendary Smuggler mine (listed on the National Register of Historic Places) which once produced almost twenty percent of the world’s total silver as well as the largest silver nugget ever mined. Call (970) 925-2049 for tour information details.
- Pro Challenge Bike Race: Known as “America’s Race”, the USA Pro Challenge bicycle race takes place in August throughout the state of Colorado. Since its inception in 2011, Aspen has been one of its premier stage locations. The race, one of the largest cycling events held in the United States, features the best athletes in professional cycling competing in some of America’s most challenging and scenic terrain.
- Annual Motherlode Volleyball Classic: Rated the number one Pro-Am volleyball event in North America, the Motherload Volleyball classic is held annually in Aspen over the Labor Day Weekend. 700 teams, comprised of USA National Team members, beach professionals and top amateurs, compete in the nation’s largest beach doubles volleyball tournament in the country.
- JAS Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience: Dance away the holiday weekend in the spectacular beauty of the Elk Mountain Range at this annual Labor Day music festival that features three days of popular, rock, R&B, funk, blues, world and soul music in the Snowmass Town Park near Aspen.
- Annual Ruggerfest Rugby Tournament: Cheer on the Gentlemen of Aspen at this annual event, one of the premier rugby competitions in the country. The tournament draws nearly 50 teams from Europe, Hawaii, the southern hemisphere, and across the continental United States and is one of the true spectator highlights of the Aspen summer season.
There are, of course, many other events, activities and other things to do here that make Aspen and Snowmass special. Please feel free to contact us directly at email@example.com or 970-618-8290, for more detailed information. No matter what you choose to do during your visit to Aspen and Snowmass, we are sure that you will find something extraordinary, and that you will have a truly memorable experience while you are here.