There are a lot of great times of year to vacation in Aspen and Snowmass. In fact, there’s really no bad time for an exciting excursion here.
But, February is one of the best months to visit. The snow conditions are typically excellent, the Aspen weather usually warms up a bit from our usual January freeze (but not too much to soften the snow), and the lift lines move along smartly compared to during the Christmas / New Year’s holiday crush. It can be the best time to ski in Aspen all season long.
Of course, Aspen and Snowmass also offer much more than just skiing and snowboarding throughout the entire month of February. But, we think a romantic Valentine’s Day or a special President’s Day weekend is an especially perfect occasion for a visit.
Valentine’s Day and President’s Day Weekend in Aspen
Couples everywhere make Valentine’s Day special, and when you’re in Aspen, you can make it truly extraordinary. Just imagine, snuggling by a warm crackling fire after a fabulous candlelight dinner at your favorite local restaurant or right there in your luxurious vacation rental home away from home.
Sounds great to us! But that’s not all Aspen and Snowmass have to offer for a wonderful Valentine’s Day experience. And with the President’s Day Weekend following closely behind, many couples also find this a great time to try something new to spice up their romance and relationship while they’re here.
Here are a few suggestions:
Take a breathtaking ride through the surrounding White River National forest with one of Aspen’s or Snowmass’ local snowmobile tour operators. Guides from highly experienced outfitters, such as T-Lazy-7, Blazing Adventures, and Western Adventures will take you safely into the nearby winter backcountry areas like:
- the Maroon Bells
- the hills above Lenado
- the Klondike Cabin (with spectacular view s of the 14,000 foot Pyramid Peak),
- up Independence Pass to the mining era ghost town of Independence
- and more.
Every tour offers spectacular views of the high peaks of the Elk Mountain Range — and loads of fun!
Experience a snowcat dinner ride
Everyone loves to celebrate valentine’s day with a romantic dinner for two. Although there are many fantastic dining options throughout downtown Aspen and Snowmass Village, a culinary experience like no other exists on the mountain.
Highlands’ famed Cloud 9 Bistro offers private evening dinners on top of the slopes. Guests are chauffeured to the restaurant via snowcats that operate on the mountain after the ski lifts close. Why not celebrate your love with an unforgettable experience in an iconic location?
How about a sleigh ride to the Pine Creek Cookhouse?
You can cross-country ski or snowshoe to the Pine Creek Cookhouse, but a sleigh ride through the ghost town of Ashcroft on your way to the restaurant might be the most romantic way to get to this acclaimed mountain gourmet restaurant, located 11 miles from downtown Aspen and accessible by private car, or taxi.
Test your balance (and your hugging technique) with the time-honored winter romance activity of ice skating at the downtown Silver Circle ice rink, located across from the Ruby Park bus station, in front of the Hyatt Grand Aspen hotel.
Of course, you will also find more traditional Valentine’s Day activities in Aspen and Snowmass as well, like enjoying a romantic dinner and drinks at one of the outstanding local restaurants. Many establishments are offering specials this year, and you can find a comprehensive list here at eataspen.com.
Live Entertainment – for Valentine’s Day and President’s Day Weekend
Prefer to cozy in for some indoor activities and events to round out your fabulous Aspen Valentine’s Day or President’s Day Weekend celebrations? Most of these are not scheduled right on February 14th, but here’s some of what’s on tap for entertainment on and around Valentine’s Day and President’s Day weekend:
Belly Up Aspen
- 2/14/18: Sunsquabi – “A three-piece suit, live electronic experience.”
- 2/15 – 1/16/18: Mau5Trap – “Genre: Progressive House, Electronic”
Visit bellyupaspen.com for their full February 2018, calendar of events.
Aspen Santa Fe Ballet
- 1/16/18: Ailey II – “…universally renowned for merging the spirit and energy of the country’s best young dance talent with the passion and creative vision of today’s most outstanding emerging choreographers…”
Wheeler Opera House
- 2/11/18: Che Malambo – percussive dance and music spectacle based on Malambo, “… a dynamic blend of precision footwork, rhythmic stomping, drumming and song, which originated in the 17th century in the South American pampas…”
- 2/15/18: Gentri – “The Gentlemen Trio is comprised of three highly trained tenors: Brad Robins, Casey Elliott, and Bradley Quinn Lever. Pioneering a signature sound that can only be described as “Cinematic Pop,” the music of GENTRI is transfused with lush, epic orchestrations and rich, dynamic three-part harmonies…”
- 2/17/18: An Evening with Bruce Cockburn – Singer, songwriter, guitarist and Canadian musical legend whose music captures in song, “… the essence of human experience – while fiercely striving to make it better…”
Visit wheeleroperahouse.com for their full February 2018, calendar of events.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, beginning January 2 at the Artisan Bar at the Stonebridge Inn – “…Two-time Close-Up Magician of the Year, Doc Eason, performs amazing sleight-of-hand feats that will leave your head spinning…”
Visit gosnowmass.com for their full February, 2018 calendar of events in Snowmass Village
It’s not too Late to Plan Your February Vacation in Aspen – Want More Information?
There’s so much more to see and do in Aspen and Snowmass in February – too much to list it all here. If you want more information, or if you haven’t yet booked your accommodations, contact our Guest Services agents today!